Grand Anne Fire Cause Determined

The Grand Anne Bed and Breakfast was damaged by a fire this past weekend.

Management said they believe the fire started on the first floor and quickly spread as homes that old were not built with fire walls in between each of the floors.

Keokuk Fire Chief Gabe Rose said they believe the fire was caused by a first floor window air conditioning unit or the wiring around it. This confirms the belief that it was an electrical fire that caused the damage.

The Grand Anne was built in 1893 for Clyde Royal Joy and contains 22 rooms. Building the mansion cost $12,500 back when skilled carpenters earned two dollars a day, according to the Grand Anne’s website.

Renovations were ongoing when the fire started and it is unclear on what the future holds for renovations and repairs for the Grand Anne.