ABC/Lou Rocco(NEW YORK) — Hours after getting down on one knee live in front of national TV — again — The Bachelor’s Arie Luyendyk Jr. appeared on ABC’s Good Morning America to explain why he filmed his painful split from the woman he originally proposed to during the finale of his season.
Luyendyk’s appearance on GMA follows Tuesday night’s “After the Final Rose” episode, where he popped the question to Bachelor runner-up Lauren Burnham, who responded, “Definitely!”
But this is the second engagement for Luyendyk, who also proposed to Becca Kufrin at the end the regular season. Luyendyk then broke up with Kufrin to pursue a relationship with Burnham, something “Bachelor Nation” watched on TV and spoke out against earlier this week.
“For me, I really wanted everyone to know this was on me,” Luyendyk explained. “I felt like filming that would let people know that.”
He said he wanted to give Kufrin the “opportunity” to be the next Bachelorette, which was officially announced on Tuesday night.
Luyendyk also explained on GMA why he proposed to Kufrin when “you don’t have to.” “There’s a timeline,” he said Wednesday morning. “There’s a lot of pressure on that [final] day. I was conflicted and felt like in the moment, that was the right decision but it wasn’t…I shouldn’t have proposed.”
After apologizing to Kufrin last night, Luyendyk said, “I hope I gave her a little bit of closure.” Later on GMA, Burnham joined Luyendyk and she said seeing the Kufrin breakup footage for the first time just then was “painful,” but that “we’re together and that’s what matters most to us.”
As for if she knew he was going to propose Tuesday night, Burnham said Luyendyk said isn’t exactly the best at keeping secrets. Now, she says, they’re excited to do “normal” things like go to dinner together in public.
Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Powered by WPeMatico